Saturday, September 12, 2015

Fall Wishlist: Part VI

3. Sturdy chic shoes

After months of strappy heels and delicate sandals, there's something nice about a big chunky shoe to help ground your fall looks. I like something that's a little tough, a little nerdy, and a little airy. A kind of boot/shoe/sandal hybrid, like this:
fwl sturdy

DKNY Rayna Monk Strap Ankle Boot -- a tough little biker chic boot, perfect with pants and dresses. The heel height (and little toe platform) make them really walkable.

3.1 Phillip Lim 'Claridge' Bootie -- these are an investment piece for sure. I love the pretty feminine twists on a menswear inspired boot -- the stacked wooden heel and lattice work detail are great touches.

Thakoon Bassy Clog Sandal -- I may have mentioned these one or twenty times. They are perfect and would be in my closet except for the height. At almost 5'9", I really don't need to be tottering around on a 5" platform. Could I bring them to Home Depot and have someone saw a couple of inches off?

M. Gemi Urbano -- I haven't seen any M. Gemi shoes in person but I've heard good things, and this chic bootie seems worth a shot.

All of my guy friends are obsessed with fantasy football right now, but I like thinking of my blog as my fantasy fashion league. Let's pretend those gorgeous Thakoon sandals were sitting in my closet...


I could put together a million office-ready outfits around these shoes. They're perfect with your favorite polished separates -- I like to mix in some of my favorite warm weather pieces, like this pale pink blazer, to lighten up fall looks . They're also great party shoes. You could also bundle these up a for a great nighttime look later in the year -- add tights, a full skirt, and a fitted velvet blazer and you're party-ready. And very, very tall.

4. Cozy Weekend Top

I live for fall weekends -- they're always a great mix of running around outside enjoying the cool temps and fresh air and hunkering down inside for good eats, good books, and football. You'll need a few cozy tops that will let you partake in all of those activities -- here are some good ones:















Banana Republic Colorblock Jacquard Sweatshirt -- this sweatshirt has a very cool texture, I'm dying to see it in person.

J. Crew Factory Intarsia Wraparound Dachshund Sweater -- totally adorable, particularly if you have a doxie in your life. This sold out quickly online but sizes pop up every so often -- check for it in your local store, too.

Alexa Chung for AG Scarlet Cotton Sweater -- simple and perfect.

Loft Lou and Grey Mixup Cardigan -- I bought something similar at Forever 21 last year and I adore it. Very cozy and relaxed, you can throw it on over just about everything.

There are plenty of ways to wear a comfy, cozy top without looking sloppy. My test is always asking myself "what if I ran into Tim Gunn in this outfit?" before leaving the house (that made a bit more sense when I lived in New York, but you get the drift):



























For the laziest of days, you can wear a cozy sweatshirt with some leggings and cute sneakers -- just make sure the sweatshirt fits really well and your leggings are nice and thick. This is perfect for spending the afternoon at home, and maybe making a quick run to the store for more snacks. When you need to bundle up for a football game or some pumpkin picking, swap the leggings for toothpick jeans and add a peacoat and boots. Tim would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment