Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Fall Wishlist: Part V

1. Go-To Dress

Dresses have always been a staple of my work wardrobe, and I'm always ready to add another to my closet. For fall, I looking for a dress with a great print, bold color, amazing shape: a go-to dress. The kind that makes you look amazing with little to no effort (a life saver on a busy morning). If this sounds good to you, here are my favorite from this season:


Paul and Joe Sister Iphigenie Collar Dress -- I love this dress. A very grown-up way to live out my private school uniform fantasies.

Zara Faux Leather Dress -- all of the comfort and convenience of wearing your favorite striped t-shirt.

Boden Printed Shirt Dress -- the dress shape is classic and tailored, the print is bananas. Perfect combination.

Anthropologie Gallica Silk Shirtdress -- the ultra feminine floral print and traditional shape are very Betty Draper, but with the right accessories I think it would be sweet, not costume-y.

I really want all of these dresses, but I'm really loving the Boden shirt dress. It looks like grandma's couch, in the coolest possible way.





















The nice thing about a go-to dress is that you really don't need to fuss with it. This isn't the dress that you're going to radically transform each time you wear it -- everyone will remember it, so keep it simple. For early fall I'd wear just a few cool rings, a little messenger bag, and simple, neutral shoes. When it gets cold, throw on a cozy coat and some tights and let that dress do it's thang.

2. Something Lavender

There are some colors that evoke happy memories of rustling leaves blah, blah, blah... And then there's a crazy bright shade of purple that doesn't scream fall at all, but somehow seems perfect. This bright, incredibly flattering shade seems to be everywhere this season, and why not. It's great on its own, but think about how perfectly it pairs with navy, gray, green, burgundy, and all of those classic fall colors. When you're building your fall wardrobe, consider picking up something in this unexpected but happy shade:



Boden Betty Ottoman Dress -- this super ladylike dress comes in a rainbow of colors (the green is amazing), but I'd be willing to bet you don't own anything in this lovely dusty lavender shade. Really unique, really pretty.

Boden Sophia Knitted Top -- the shape and texture of this sweater is really interesting, and this brighter purple shade makes me happy.

Botkier Trigger Small Satchel -- a cool bold bag, and you can pretty much guarantee that you'll be the only one in the room carrying it.

J. Crew Collection Cashmere T-Shirt -- a great, fresh layering piece.

Here are some ideas for working this shade into your look over the next few months:


I'm not really great at putting together casual weekend looks. I tend to live in my beloved athleisure wear, running around town in spandex and other sweat-wicking material. But if I did get my act together to put on real clothes, this sweater would be perfect with some relaxed olive cargo pants and sparkly flats for my usual Saturday Target run/Chipotle feast (a glamorous life, for sure). I also love it with cooler shades like navy and gray for a cold weather outfit -- wide leg pants, a great coat, and some fun shoes to pull it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment