Monday, August 17, 2015

Weekend To Do List


weekend to do


This weekend, I ate food and wore shoes. Good times.

I've come to a bit of a realization: I kind of suck at weekends. Here it is, the end of the weekend, and I'm feeling a bit frazzled. I just spent the past 2 days just go, go, going and I'm both tired and frustrated that I didn't quite get everything done. New goal for September is better weekend management. That said, here's how I (badly) spent the past 48 hours:

1. Sweating

I've been a bit frustrated with my fitness situation of late. After a winter and spring that saw me missing too many workouts while suddenly remembering how delicious Oreos are, I've been trying to get back on track and drop about 15lbs of extra cushion. Lately I've been pushing myself with some intense workouts (lots of cardio, body weight exercises, and Shaun T kicking my ass in 25 minute clips). I started out my Saturday off with a long interval run and hit the gym again this morning. I feel sore, but somehow still don't feel like I'm making the progress I want. I'll be glad to start half marathon training this fall, somehow it just seems to fall into place when I have a goal and a good training schedule to rely on.

2. A big bowl of happiness

I've developed a bit of a Chipotle habit on the weekend...sometimes it is really the little things that make you happy. I don't go crazy - brown rice, veggies, chicken, lettuce, and guac is enough of a reward after a hard workout without totally undoing the calorie burn. My lunch was the perfect thing to fuel me for tackling my to-do list, including a few errands, house cleaning, laundry, and the like. So glamorous.

3. Rain for days

The weather this weekend was a total downer. Scary, house-shaking thunderstorms each day with buckets of rain falling at the worst times. I got talked into picking up an extra shift at Give Kids The World and spent Saturday evening driving around the Village in a very soggy golf cart. The kids make it all worthwhile, though, and good rain boots make splashing in the puddles almost fun.

4. Fall fashion scouting

Hey look, more shoes! Sunday morning involved a quick trip to the mall -- I had a few things to return and I took advantage of relatively empty stores to do a little scouting. It's always fun to see fresh looks hit the stores, even if plaid flannel shirts don't seem particularly inviting right now. I checked out a few things that I'd been eyeing online, and I discovered a few new potential must-haves. 

My favorite are these simple, sexy heels. The come in black, bright pink, and (my favorite) a pretty light beige color. I'll confess that I am not the biggest fan of Forever 21 shoes -- they are of dubious quality and comfort, and I am trying to limit my consumption of fast fashion. But I am definitely considering these. They seem fairly sturdy, and while likely not super comfy, they're not shoes I would plan to do a ton of walking in. I think they'd look great with a pair of long and lean flared jeans, a relaxed button down shirt, and a cool necklace.

5. Easy Sunday dinner

Rain, rain, rain. The weather continued to suck into Sunday afternoon and I was feeling a little bummed about not making a lot of time in the weekend for fun. After another shift at GKTW, I headed to one of my favorite neighborhoods in Orlando for a satisfying dinner -- Mamak serves Asian street food in a cool, trendy space. It was really perfect -- the food is delicious and the vibe is fun but relaxed. Just buzzy enough to feel like I was "out" without worrying that I'd be judged for my comfy jeans and rain-frizzed hair. Tacos, spring rolls, and a few bites of roti canai (amazing fried bread) were a nice way to finish the weekend.

Does anyone else struggle with finding balance on the weekends, or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. I'd be hard pressed to say you suck at weekends. I usually read your recaps and are somewhat awestruck at how much you get done! I'll have occasional weekends where I get things done like a beast, but it's hardly the rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I think I need to work to get some of the boring chores done during the week, that way the weekend doesn't feel so wall-to-wall busy. Maybe that's one of the things that I like about race training and long runs...they kind of force you to take at least a few hours to just sit and relax!

      Delete