Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Wednesday Wishlist: So Bright

On loving that thing you hate...

If you were to stop me on the street to ask my opinion about neon colors (because, why wouldn't you?), my answer would always be the same: Ugh. No way. The worst. And I've been amazingly consistent about this feeling. I hated them as a child in the late 80s/early 90s, when they were literally everywhere; I hated them as an adult as they popped up in the 00s in wacky Harujuku looks. It's just one of those trends that I could immediately say "pass". But still...

Sometimes there is just something appealing about that thing you hate. Is it just me? I don't know, I've been looking for ways to freshen up some of the summer clothes that I've been wearing for months, and a little pop of neon is feeling really interesting right now. I'm talking a splash. Just a hint of eye-searing brightness. Accessories are perfect -- punchy shoes, a bright bag, or bit of bold jewelry can be just the thing to perk up your warm weather clothes as we make the long, sweaty march towards Labor Day.

I really love all of these pieces, and I'm seriously considering adding a few to my wardrobe. But what's crazy is that if you asked me how I feel about neon today I'd still say, "Ugh, hate it." Except when I love it.











from l to r:

Maisy Handbag ($133) -- I love this traditional satchel shape in an unexpected color. I think it's perfect for work in all but the most conservative of offices.

Neon Knot Bib Necklace ($22) -- inherently cool simply because it comes from Furbish, the little jewel-box of a design/decor shop run by the fabulous Jamie Meares. The mix of bright pink, blue, and yellow is almost too much, but somehow it works here.

Loren Hope Triangle Cuff in Neon Pink ($78) -- perfect if you just want to dip a toe in the neon pool. And possibly share your alle Illuminati.

Rebecca Minkoff Ginny Mesh Espadrilles ($49) -- these are on super sale and you should snatch them up. Throw them on with your bathing suit to hit the beach; just as good with white jeans and a simple top for late-night dinner and drinks.

Nada Sawaya Python Zip Top Pouch ($390) --  the perfect summer clutch. Me likey so, so much.

BaubleBar Festival Tassel Drops ($32) -- these come in a rainbow of bright colors, but the sunny yellow are my favorite.

Hello Holiday George Sandals ($15) -- easy chic sandals in the perfect Creamsicle shade of orange. 

Amrita Singh POP! Necklace ($10) -- I have this in pink and I adore it. Simple and sexy, perfect with a little tank, or perhaps peeking out of a collared shirt.

DROPS Neon Orange Square Unisex Watch ($130) -- I love a good boyfriend watch, and this bright rubber version is just fun. I'm pale all year long, but this would look amazing on with your summer tan.


No comments:

Post a Comment