Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday Wishlist: Flat But Fierce

Have you been following the news out of the Cannes Film Festival this week? If not, here's a quick update: Naomi Watts and Lupita Nyong'o are stunning. Cate Blanchett, beyond perfectionCarol and Inside Out look amazing (for verrry different reasons). And then a weird thing happened.

A few days ago, we heard about some fantastic things that Salma Hayek and others said about women and sexism in Hollywood. Yay! And then this bit of what-the-fuckery: women are being turned away from the red carpet and film screenings for wearing flat shoes.

There are a million reasons why a woman would choose to wear flats: Maybe comfort is important. Maybe you already tower over your teeny male co-star and you're worried he'll throw a tantrum. Maybe they just look damn good.

Heels are great, but today I've got my eyes on some totally fierce and fabulous flats -- they're not all red carpet-worthy, but there are a few pretty pair that I might just bust out the next time I'm invited to attend the most glamorous film festival in the world (next year, I'm sure)...


BRIGHT

1. Duo Karin Court Shoe ($155) -- These sweet round-toe shoes have a 1-inch heel, so perhaps not technically going to get you kicked off the carpet at Cannes, but for me these are basically flats. I love the bow detail. These are a nice option if you've been eyeing classic Ferragamos but haven't saved up enough pennies just yet.

2. Tina Mandarin Orange Dip Dyed Ballet Flats ($199) -- orange is really one of my least favorite shades to wear, but I could have fun with a bright pop of it in these vibrant ballet flats.

3. a.n.a. Sicily Ballet Flats ($40) -- pink always makes me happy.

4. Zoe Flats ($179) -- yellow seems high-maintenance, but it is a surprisingly versatile color -- it mixes well with almost every color and is infinitely more fun than basic black or brown.

LOOK AT ME

1. Chiara Ferragni Lips Espadrille ($319) -- these silly glittery slip-ons would be the perfect thing to add a little fun to your Saturday-running-errands look.

2. ModCloth Chance Greeting Flats ($40) -- why not have a pair of shoes that puts you in an instant good mood?

3. ModCloth Stroke of Genius Flats ($35) -- I don't think I could pull these off, but I'd be happy to catch someone else rocking these.

4. Gap Snakeskin Flat ($25) -- these are so simple but sharp, I'm planning a million outfits in my head that would perfectly show them off.

PERFECTLY POINTY

1. Sole Society Molly Flats ($65) -- black and white stripes just the best.

2. Zara Glitter Pointed Ballet Flats ($20) -- these are a bit over the top, so I'd keep the rest of my look unfussy...maybe boyfriend jeans and a relaxed button down or a simple black shift. They come in a gold/silver combo and an icy blue ombre that Elsa would just love.

3. Loeffler Randall Quinnie Flat Pump ($300) -- just a very ladylike classic.

4. French Connection Doris Pointy Toe Flat ($110) --  want, want, want. Sofia Coppola would rock these on the red carpet and be the coolest girl in the room.

D'ORSAY

1. Halogen Kayla Pointy Toe Flat ($80) - I'm not really a huge fan of the d'orsay style, but the mix of camel and black leather in this shoe is super chic.

2. Ferragamo Prietta Jelly Flat ($255) -- probably the prettiest jelly shoes ever.

3. ModCloth Pretty Promenade Flat ($30) -- a basic little black shoe with a feminine twist.

4. Madewell Snake Spot D'Orsay Flat ($108) -- very drawn to these, even though they're not at all my typical style.

No comments:

Post a Comment