Sunday, March 1, 2015

Weekend To-Do List




1. Late last week I realized a very rare event was upon me: a completely unscheduled Friday night. Usually on Fridays I make plans with friends to celebrate the end of the week or I spend time volunteering at the best organization in the world, but this week I had nada on the calendar. As a bonus, I also had a clear Saturday morning (I almost always have an early yoga class or long run planned). So it dawned on me: I could stay in and veg! And stay up super late if I wanted! No one is the boss of me!

As luck would have it, Friday was also the release day for season three of House of Cards. Can you guess where this is going? Me + Netflix + the best ice cream (the salted caramel is just everything) + my couch = bliss. I burned through 3 episodes (which is a lot for me, I'm really terrible at binge watching) and enjoyed a super chill evening.

I know this is such a cliche thing to say, but making time for relaxing and unwinding is SO important. I love being busy - there is so much I want to do with my life and I hate wasting even a minute -- but the constant go, go, go can take a toll on you. When I say this unscheduled Friday night/Saturday morning is rare, I'm talking it has been at least a year or so. And it was nice, nicer than when I try to squeeze in relaxation around all of the busy-ness (OK, I have a window today from 3-3:50 where I don't have to be anywhere. Ready, set, RELAX! Do I feel relaxed yet? Am I relaxing enough? How much relaxation time do I have left?).

2. I got to enjoy a few rainy hours in the Magic Kingdom -- I never get tired of the magic (even if I am quite grown up).

3. I went on a long run and tried to work through some big life questions. I do some of my best thinking when I run. Lots up in the air right now -- I have to make some big decisions soon and while I think any of the options would make me happy in the short term, it is less clear what is best for my long term goals. Anyone have a crystal ball I can borrow?

4. I used this great mask while doing a bit of spring cleaning. This post made me laugh and also gave me a nice kick in the rear to get my makeup bag in order. I was able to purge my collection of some clutter and give everything a good cleaning.

And a mini-review of the mask: I'm using a sample I got from Sephora (the Beauty Insiders reward program is the best ever -- I may make VIB Rouge this year, which is exciting and somewhat horrifying!). I was curious to test out this product that's earned a fairly cult-like following -- it is just fine and made my skin quite soft. I don't see myself buying a full size version, but I'd be happy to see another sample come along.

5. I added a few products to my "must-try" list. This Clarins balm is some kind of miracle product if the testimonies here are to be believed. The Coveteur did a round up of beauty editors' favorite drugstore buys and it is a treasure trove of goodness. This L'Oreal mascara got several mentions -- I've used the classic Voluminous for years, I can't wait to see what all of the fuss is about here. It seems like everyone and their mother loves this Maybelline concealer. I'm always on the hunt for a wearable red lipstick, and this one looked so fresh and unfussy on one of my favorite bloggers.

So I have a few things on my list for future drugstore/Sephora visits. And hey, I suddenly seem to have some extra room in my makeup bag...

No comments:

Post a Comment