Friday, March 27, 2015

Swimfan

Now that we are (almost) in the swing of spring, stores are starting to get all of their warm weather goodies. When I see all of the gorgeous bathing suits hitting the racks right now all I can think is: cute, but not for me.

For as long as I can remember, my go-to swim option has been some variation on a basic black suit that provides plenty of coverage and hopefully flatters a bit (maybe a bit of ruching, a well-placed ruffle), perfect for swimming or just lounging. I have a drawer full of them, they last forever, and I love that getting ready for a trip to the beach or the pool is a no-brainer.

My suit may a little boring, but that doesn't mean I can't put together a cute beach look. It is all about the accessories: coverups, sandals, bags, and maybe a hint of lip color. Right now I have my eye on some great options that will make my black suit look anything but basic:

Suit: J. Crew Ruched Halter One-Piece ($98)

1. One of my life rules is that you can never go wrong with black and white. This simple striped tunic is the easiest thing in the world to throw on over your suit, and it would look great for your après-swim plans as well (is après-swim a thing? If not, shouldn't it be?). I love the print on this surprisingly great tote (I'm usually pretty unimpressed with Target bags, but I've seen this one in person and it is a steal). These glittery sandals are pricey but sooo tempting (think of all of the money I save not buying tons of bathing suits!). A bit of color would be the perfect finishing touch, so I'd toss this bright red lipstick in my bag. Très fabulous.

2. This caftan is a bit over the top, but I love it. Please feel free to invite me out on your yacht, I'll be ready. I'd also add a super glamorous straw tote (if you're looking for a deal, try TJ Maxx -- they carry lots of great Deux Lux bags) and gold strappy flats. And this is the prettiest sheer lip gloss -- instant glamour in a tube.

3. Sometimes you need a more practical beach look -- just a day out with friends or your annual family vacation. I love the colors in this gauzy shirt dress -- makes me think of those gorgeous candy-colored Victorians in Cape May. A big straw market tote has plenty of room for my beach essentials (books, snacks, and sunscreen). These simple slides are an amazing Old Navy steal. And I love this Fresh lip balm for keeping my lips pretty and protected.

4. How cute is this printed dress? OK, so a dry clean only piece may not be the best option for a bathing suit coverup, but I don't care. Just don't push me in the pool and we'll be fine. This sparkly tote is a just a perfect fun summer bag. These wedges look so comfortable, perfect for a long walk on the boardwalk (or chasing down the ice cream man). And with this pretty pink lip color, I'd feel pulled together even without another stitch of makeup on.

No comments:

Post a Comment