Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Buy This: Perfect Black Romper

Last year I made an impulse purchase during one of Loft's fabulous flash sales: a silky black long-sleeved romper. I'd never worn one before, but it seemed like the kind of thing that would come in handy in a year-round summer climate. It was dirt cheap, so even if I only wore it a few times it would be a reasonable investment. Spoiler alert: I fucking loved it and wore the hell out of it.

This romper is so flattering and so versatile, I'm planning on buying another because it is just the easiest summer uniform. And you need to buy one immediately. Good news -- there are a number of great options in stores right now. Here are a few of my favorites:

from l to r:

Loft Pleated Romper ($80, but basically always on sale -- try to catch it when it is around $30-40)
Banana Republic Factory 3/4 Sleeve Romper ($80, but also often on sale)
Monrow Long Sleeve Romper ($158)
DvF Celeste Romper ($368)
Mikoh Hawaii Romper ($146)


Some tips for buying...

Trying on is a must. You want the fit to be loose but not baggy or sloppy, so try on your regular size and one bigger and one smaller to be sure. Make sure the shorts hit you in the right place. Check out your ass. Sometimes the line between relaxed and dumpy is dangerously thin.

Look for a waistline that blouses a bit. You have enough tight, uncomfortable clothes. This should feel comfortable enough that you can eat a great meal and throw back a few beers and not feel like you're stuffed into a sausage casing.

Stick with long sleeves. Full length or 3/4 are best for creating a great proportion. You're showing plenty of leg, so keeping your arms a bit covered gives balance to the overall look.

Pay attention to the neckline. You probably already know whether a round- or v-neck looks best on you/with your favorite jewelry -- stick with what works.

Think about care. Did I mention I wear this a lot? My Loft romper is machine washable, making it that much easier for me to keep it in regular rotation.

The possibilities for styling this great wardrobe staple are almost endless. Stay tuned for some of my favorite romper-based looks soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment