Thursday, October 15, 2015

Fall Uniform

I've always loved the idea of a uniform. If I'd had my way, I would have been a NYC private school kid -- Brooklyn, not Upper East Side -- wearing a preppy jacket and a plaid skirt (hiked up just a little too high) every day. It didn't happen, but I today I definitely rely on a few favorite wardrobe formulas to make dressing easier.

My summer uniform was pretty easy and unfussy, as summer dressing should be. Fall is a little more complicated. I like an outfit that has dimension and looks a bit more intentional. Since I work from home, my weekday look is not at all blog worthy. But occasionally I do get dressed! This is my go-to look for evening and weekend plans: a mix of masculine and feminine details, easy layers and a flattering silhouette.


Jackets are a major wardrobe staple for me, particularly perfect in the fall, so I usually start with a structured jacket. Something with nice clean lines that creates a great shape -- a tough moto jacket, a relaxed boyfriend jacket, or a nipped in blazer are perfect.

Next, a soft, flowy top -- something with a little ruffle, a little lace, a pretty detail. I love this ruffled collar blouse (especially with the tough leather jacket). This blousy tunic with lace trim can be tucked in or left loose. And I can't decide what I love best about this jade green top, the delicate ruffled sleeves or the deep rich color. So pretty (and on sale!).

Skinny jeans are definitely not my favorite denim shape but here, they're perfect. You just want to create a nice sleek silhouette and draw attention to the more interesting parts of your look. Pick a pair that's flattering and comfortable -- maybe distressed grays, a relaxed boyfriend cut, or a sleek straight leg option.

I love an opportunity to show off my shoes and a great heel is definitely called for -- these round-toe black patent leather pumps are super versatile, these classic Jimmy Choo pointy-toe heels are on a wish list that I've buried deep, deep in my heart, and these tortoise shell beauties are fun.

Since this is a pretty relaxed look, I like to have an easy hands-free bag with me. Maybe the bar will be crowded, maybe we'll change locations a couple of times, maybe I'll need both hands for snacks (let's be real, that's the most likely scenario)...regardless, it's nice to not be the girl always fussing with her purse. I've been dying for this adorable little metallic crossbody bag to go on sale -- perfectly tiny and fancy. My python obsession lives to see another season, and this flat clutch is so easy to tuck under your arm. And this little envelope bag is versatile, great for day or night.

Finally, a few accessories to pull everything together. These little studs and pretty stack of rings are perfect for a black and white look. I will never get sick of this watch (super bargain version here) -- so perfect here, right? This cuff bracelet is simple but interesting.

There you have it, an easy formula for weekend dressing...just add shenanigans!


No comments:

Post a Comment